Graduate Student Association (GSA)
The primary goal of the Graduate Student Association for the College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services, is to provide information, build community, and provide a voice to the entire graduate students enrolled within the college of CECH. We are allotted an annual fixed budget from the unversity Graduate Student Governing Association (GSGA) to sponser conferences, host guest speakers, and hold social functions for the graduate students within CECH.
The primary goals of the CECH-GSA are to:
- Build a community of graduate students in the college
- Give all graduate students a voice in the college
- Provide information to graduate students
CECH GSA Executive Board
Current Officers 2021-22
Secretary, Counseling Program / School of Human Services
Distance Learning Representative, School of Information Technology
President: Gibin Raju | School of Education
Vice President: Brooke Marston | School of Criminal Justice
Treasurer: Katelyn King | School of Criminal Justice
Secretary: Stephanie Merrilees | School of Human Services
Distance-Learning Representative: Victor Adewopo | School of Information Technology
CECH Conference Travel Funding Process
- Before a CECH GSA officer will approve funding, we need you to have your advisor sign the Travel Authorization and will need proof of attendance/paper approval (email, registration, conference abstract, etc.)
- Each year you are eligible for up to $500 in conference funds. This should be applied before your department funding. In certain situations, the GSGA may announce additional funds at the end of the year
- Student must be a degree seeking graduate student with at least 12 graduate credit hours earned.
- Student must be registered for at least one credit hour during the semester of travel. For travel during summer semester (if a graduate student is not registered for Summer, at least one credit hour of the prior Spring semester registration is mandatory).
- Please contact the CECH GSA officers to get a signature.
- PLEASE NOTE: Your department may have additional procedures before or after this process to distribute any department funding for students.
- Keep a copy of your award application for your records
- Awards generally take about 2 weeks to process
- If a student has graduated, he/she is eligible for reimbursement only if the conference is within two weeks of their graduation date.
- Students are strongly encouraged to reach out to their department/advisor for funding whenever possible.
- If you are emailed you about some problem with your application, it is your responsibility to fix the issue(s) completely within 7 calendar days of receiving the email.
- Students are encouraged to post to social media during their trip and tag CECH GSA as #uccechgsa using Instagram @uc_cechgsa and Facebook mention @UCCECHGSA.
Steps for Approval Before Travel
- Student Completes Travel Authorization (TA)
- Student has Academic Adviser approve TA
- Student submits TA to his/her GSA Counsel Member(s) for approval, the amount of GSG funding awarded will be written on the signed TA.
- Students may be awarded up to $500 for presenting at conferences
- Depending on the GSGA Travel Funds Budget at the end of the year, they may award students up to $200 for Professional Development Travel (non-presenting)
- The student will submit their TA to their School's Business Manager with proof that they are presenting at the conference
(Proof can be email/letter of acceptance, brochure of the conference with their presentation listed, etc.)
List of Business Managers for each school and contact information:
School of Education: Amanda Grant
School of Human Services: Daniel Majesky
School of Criminal Justice: Erin Cochran
School of Information Technology: Jenna Goedde
- Students will submit all travel expenses to the School's Business Manager (receipts)
- Business Manager will apply E160 from the School's Award
- Business Manager will apply E160 from the Student Affairs budget for the GSGA Travel Funds Awarded by their GSA Group
- Each School has a separate GSGA Travel Funds Contract so we can monitor which school is spending what
- Your contract codes are attached
- Business Manager will complete the process