New Books by CSJEC Faculty
Professional Development in Relational Learning Communities: Teachers in Connection (2017, Teachers College Press) by Miriam Raider-Roth, founding co-director of CSJEC.
“At a time when teachers’ professional identities and the very premises of democratic education are under attack, we need this book more than ever.” -- Kathy Schultz, University of Colorado-Boulder
“Raider-Roth understands that powerful, transformative learning… requires a community that supports it… in these pages, she brings such communities to life.” --Robert Kegan, Harvard Graduate School of Education
See the reviews of Raider-Roth’s book in Teachers College Record and the Journal of Jewish Education.
The Essential Hayim Greenberg: Essays and Addresses on Jewish Culture, Socialism, and Zionism (2017, University of Alabama Press) by Mark A. Raider, director of CSJEC.
“I can’t imagine a better time to rediscover Hayim Greenberg. He was a democratic socialist and a liberal Zionist who knew the meaning of those critical adjectives...” -- Michael Walzer, Institute for Advanced Study
“Raider has performed the singular service of bringing one of the most thoughtful and engaged public Jewish intellectuals and Zionist thinkers of the twentieth century back to life.” -- David Ellenson, Brandeis University
Review the interview by Dr. Raider’s and Tel Aviv interview.
Publications Related to the Understanding and Teaching of Jewish Texts Research Project
- Raider-Roth, M. (2017). Professional development in relational learning communities: Teachers in connection. NY: Teachers College Press.
- Raider-Roth, M. (2015). Bridges to new knowledge: Culture, religion and identity in teacher professional development. International Journal of Jewish Education Research 8 (April).
- Raider-Roth, M, Stieha, V., Turpin, C., Kohan, M. (2014). 'The false promise of group harmony:' The centrality of challenging practices in professional development, Journal of Jewish Education.
- Raider-Roth, M, Stieha, V., & Hensley, B. (2012). Rupture and repair: Episodes of resistance and resilience in teachers' learning. Teaching and Teacher Education 28, 493-502.
- Stieha, V. & Raider-Roth, M. (2012). Presence in context: Teachers' negotiations with the relational environment of school. Journal of Educational Change.
- Stieha, V. & Raider-Roth, M. (2011). Disrupting relationships: A catalyst for growth. In J. Faulkner (Ed.), Disrupting pedagogies and teaching the knowledge society: Countering conservative norms with creative approaches. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. (Read the article)
- Raider-Roth, M., & Holzer, E. (2009). Learning to be present: How hevruta learning can activate teachers' relationships to self, other and text. Journal of Jewish Education 75, 216-239
Publications Related to the Jewish Court of All Time Research Project
- Brydon-Miller, M., Rector-Aranda, A. & Stevens, D. M. (2015). Widening the circle: Ethical reflection in action research. In H. Bradbury (Ed.), The SAGE handbook of action research (3rd ed.) (pp. 596-607). Thousand Oaks: SAGE publications.
- Rector-Aranda, A. & Raider-Roth, M. (2015). "I finally felt like I had power": Student agency and voice in an online and classroom-based role-play simulation. Research in Learning Technology 23(1). (Read the article)
- deNoyelles, A. & Raider-Roth, M. (2015) "Being an 'agent provocateur:'" Utilizing online spaces for teacher professional development in virtual simulation games. Technology, Pedagogy and Education.
- Killham, J., Tyler, S., Venable, A., & Raider-Roth, M. (2014). Mentoring in an online simulation: Shaping pre-service teachers for tomorrow's roles. Teaching and Learning: The Journal of Natural Inquiry and Reflective Practice 28(2), 62-79.
Other Publications by Professor Miriam Raider-Roth, Co-Founder of CSJEC
- Raider-Roth. Teachers and transformations: Professional development in relational learning communities. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Raider-Roth, M. (2005). Trusting what you know: The high stakes of classroom relationships. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Selected Articles and Chapters
- Raider-Roth, M. (2014). Presence in double vision. In Raider-Roth, M. & Silin, J. (Eds.), Thinking through early childhood: A festschrift for Harriet K. Cuffaro. Occasional Papers 32, Bank Street College of Education. (Read the article)
- Raider-Roth, M. (2014). Jewish perspectives on action research. In D. Coghlan & M. Brydon-Miller (Eds.), Encyclopedia of action research. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Raider-Roth, M. (2011). Listening to the heartbeat of the classroom: Bringing the Listening Guide to school. In P. C. Davis (Ed.), Enacting Pleasure. London: Seagull Books.
- Rodgers C. & Raider-Roth, M. (2006). Presence in Teaching, Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice (12)3, 265-287.
- Raider-Roth, M. (2005). Trusting What You Know: Negotiating the Relational Context of Classroom Life, Teachers College Record, 105(7), 587-628.
Publications by Professor Mark A. Raider, Director of CSJEC
- Raider, M. A. (Ed.). (2016). The essential Hayim Greenberg: Essays and addresses on Jewish culture, socialism, and Zionism. University of Alabama Press.
- Raider, M. A. (Ed.). (2009). Nahum Goldmann: Statesman without a state. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Reinharz, S. & Raider, M. A. (Eds.). (2004). American Jewish women and the Zionist enterprise. Hanover and London: Brandeis University Press.
- Raider, M. A. & Raider-Roth, M. B. (Eds.). (2002). The plough woman: Records of the pioneer women in Palestine - A critical edition. Hanover and London: Brandeis University Press.
- Raider, M. A. (1998). The emergence of American Zionism. New York and London: New York University Press.
Selected Articles and Chapters
- Raider, M. A. (2015). The rise of Stephen S. Wise as a Jewish leader. In C. Freeze, E. Sheppard, & S. F. Fried (Eds.), The individual in history: Essays in honor of Jehuda Reinharz (pp. 143-162). Hanover, NH: Brandeis University Press.
- Raider, M. A. (2015). Dual destinies: America and Zion in the eyes of Stephen S. Wise and Hayim Greenberg (in Hebrew). In O. Shiff (Ed.), Iyunim betkumat yisrael [Studies in the revival of Israel] (pp. 201-226). Beer Sheva, Israel: Ben-Gurion University.
- Raider, M. A. (2014). Stephen S. Wise and Golda Meir: Zionism, Israel, and American power in the twentieth century. In C. Wiese & B. Smollett (Eds.), Reappraisals and new studies of the modern Jewish experience: Essays in honor of Robert M. Seltzer (pp. 356-387). Leiden: Brill Press.
- Raider, M. A. (2008). The aristocrat and the democrat: Louis Marshall, Stephen S. Wise and the challenge of American Jewish leadership. American Jewish History 94(1-2), 91-113.
- Raider, M. A. (2007). Vigilantibus non dormientibus: The judicial activism of Louis Marshall. Jewish Social Studies 14(1), 40-62.
- Raider, M. A. (2006). "Irresponsible and undisciplined opposition": Ben Halpern, Jewish terrorism and the Bergson groups, 1947. American Jewish History 92(3), 313-360.
Publications by Associate Professor Rabbi Haim O. Rechnitzer, Research Associate of CSJEC
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2012). נבואה והסדר המדיני המושלם: התיאולוגיה המדינית של ליאו שטראוס (Prophecy and the perfect political order: The political theology of Leo Strauss). Jerusalem: Mosad Bialik.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2015). שִבֹּלֶת (Vortex). Jerusalem: Carmel Publishing House.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2014). משירי הגלות השלישית (Songs of the third exile). Jerusalem: Carmel Publishing House.
Selected Articles and Chapters
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (Forthcoming). The return of King Saul as a messiah: Theo-political heresy in Amir Gilboa's poetry. Israel: Studies in Zionism and the State of Israel-History, Society and Culture.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2016). When Joseph met Zuleika - The theo-political underpinning of 'Joseph' in Avraham Shlonsky's Ba-galgal and its critique of the Halutz ethos. Journal of Modern Jewish Studies (February), 1-16.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2014). From Honolulu to Tel Aviv via Mt. Gilboa: The rise and fall of Shlonsky's messianic Halutz. Hebrew Studies 55, 261-285.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2014). The Reform Zionist theology at the turn of the 20th century (Hebrew). In A. Rosnak (Ed.), Reform Judaism: Thought, culture and sociology (pp. 72-91). Tel-Aviv: Van-Leer Institute & Hakibbuts Hameuchad.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. & Cohen, J. (2014). The evolution of the term Talmud Torah in the reform prayer books and platforms during the last three decades (Hebrew). In A. Rosnak (Ed.), Reform Judaism: Thought, culture and sociology in Reform Judaism: Thought, Culture and Sociology (pp. 347-367). Tel-Aviv: Van-Leer Institute & Hakibbuts Hameuchad.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2014). The reins of freedom: On religion and state in Israel today. In L. Ezrahi-Vered et al. (Eds.) Dror (pp. 88-91). Jerusalem: The Progressive Movement in Israel.
- Rechnitzer, H. O. (2012). To see God in His beauty": Abraham Chalfi and the mystical quest for the evasive god." Journal of Modern Jewish Studies 10(2), 383-400.