Instructional Design and Technology
Are you ready to use technology to design innovative learning experiences? Join us in the growing field of Instructional Design and Technology (IDT). IDT focuses on the design, creation, use, and evaluation of multimedia learning experiences in a variety of rewarding professional contexts. It is a rapidly growing field with an increasing need for highly trained graduates with skills to design, implement, and evaluate multimedia learning materials. Students in the IDT graduate program at the University of Cincinnati receive the state-of-the art training necessary to enter this exciting field.
UC’s IDT program offers two distinct M.Ed. specializations focusing on either design and development or teaching, a Graduate Certificate in blended and online learning, as well as a PhD program to meet the learning needs and career goals of our students.
Click below to learn more about our programs:
- Instructional Design and Technology, M.Ed.:
- Instructional Design and Technology, Ph.D.
- Blended and Online Learning and Teaching Certificate (BOLT)
- Computer Technology Endorsement (coming soon)
The possibilities for IDT graduates are quite broad. Upon graduation, students may find themselves doing a broad variety of jobs, such as:
- Developing educational video games for children
- Testing best practices for user/experience for an interactive touch exhibit at a museum
- Designing blended instruction in college settings
- Preparing online training of new hires in a large corporation
- Researching new innovative technologies for teaching
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS):
- Occupations related to IDT will have a faster than average growth
- The growth rate of the IDT field is projected to be 11% to 15% between 2012-2022
UC IDT students are able to leverage their expertise using current and emerging technologies to design effective, innovative learning and training solutions across a variety of professional contexts including:
- Educational media production companies
- Corporate training centers
- Health institutions
- Publishing companies
- The military
- Non-profit research organizations
As part of the highly ranked CECH School of Education, UC IDT students take courses from world class professors who are experts in the areas of design, evaluation, and the use of media and technology. Focusing on a well-rounded, interdisciplinary educational experience, courses draw from the fields of cognitive science, education, design, information technology, and computer science. Graduates of the IDT program become versatile content creators, and are equipped to work in a variety of industries.
- High flexibility with online and on-campus/blended courses
- Opportunities for hands-on, experiential learning & project-based assignments
- Tailor your education to meet your career goals
- Situated in a large, metropolitan city, distinguished by our urban location
- Opportunities provided to work in local urban educational institutions, nonprofits, businesses, the healthcare system and technology-focused startups
- World-class faculty who are leaders in the field of instructional design & technology
- Professional field experiences available to apply what you learn to a real-world setting
- State-of-the art virtual labs, media facilities & gaming labs
- Scholarships for qualifying applicants
Did You Know?
The UC IDT program has a 100% job placement rate among graduates.