Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What financial aid is available?

The Counseling Program typically offers two entering doctoral students graduate research assistantships (GRAs). These assistantships provide tuition remission and a stipend. Doctoral students who are awarded a GRA will receive funding for the first two years of their program. In the third year, students are considered for scholarships. These assistantships are highly competitive. Hence applicants are to indicate interest in these assistantships early in the application process. GRAs work closely with their research supervisor, one of the Counseling Program faculty. Activities usually involve engagement in research, teaching, coordinating program endeavors, as well as other counselor education mentoring activities. Students are expected to spend approximately 20 hours per week in their assistantship role.

Graduate counseling students who demonstrate exceptional academic abilities are considered for GIAs. Hence, only a small portion of the entering or continuing students will be awarded these scholarships. Students interested in being considered for a GIA should contact the Counseling Program faculty early in the application process. The amount of the GIAs vary. Receipt of a GIA in one year does not guarantee an award in a subsequent year. There are no service requirements associated with GIAs.

For more information visit the U.C. Financial Aid webpage.

How long will it take to complete my program?

There is considerable variability in student progress through their graduate studies. The Master's degree programs (M.A., M.Ed.) may be completed in two years of full-time study, the certificate program for post-Master's work (C.A.G.S.) may be completed in a year of full-time study, and the doctoral program (Ed.D.) generally requires approximately three years to complete.

Will I have to attend full-time or can I go part-time?

Although the Counseling Program encourages full-time study, part-time study is possible. All Master's and Doctoral students are required to complete a residency requirement, one semester of full-time study for Master's students, one year of full-time study for Doctoral students. Students enrolled for a full-time internship may not count those credits toward satisfaction of the residency requirement. There is no residency requirement for certificate students.

How do I know just what courses I must take?

The student's specific program of study is jointly designed by the student and a program advisor to provide the most relevant set of learning experiences for the individual's career aspirations. Upon admission to the Counseling Program, Master's and Certificate students are assigned a program advisor. Doctoral students are assigned a temporary advisor who will assist in formulating a program plan and in selecting a permanent doctoral advisor and doctoral committee.

Are there any special requirements if I am a part-time student?

All graduate students are required to register for at least one credit of instruction each semester. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in loss of standing in the program and delayed graduation.

What do I need to provide if I am an International Student?

Official TOEFL test scores (if applicable): International applicants whose first language is not English or who have not received a baccalaureate or master's degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English must submit a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 (paper test), a score of 213 (computer-based test), a total score of 80 (internet-based test), or a minimum composite score of 6 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).

Please schedule your test early enough, and request ETS to send your TOEFL/IELTS scores to Graduate School so that the Graduate School receives your official scores by our deadline. University of Cincinnati's Institution Code for the GRE and TOEFL/IELTS is 1833. For more information of English proficiency requirement from the Graduate School, please visit this webpage: English Proficiency Requirement.

Official transcript and graduation certificates: International applicants need to submit one official transcript from undergraduate (and graduate, if applicable) degree program in both English and language of your country. International applicants will also need to provide attested graduation certificates/diploma in English and native language.

During the application process

Applicants who have received degrees in China will upload scans or images of their transcripts along with English translations. These "unofficial transcripts" are required during the application process. These documents do not need to be verified at this stage of the application process.

After being accepted to join a graduate program

Applicants who have earned a degree from China must submit an English-version verification report from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) of their final transcripts and degree certificates. All verification reports must be sent to the University of Cincinnati directly by the CDGDC to be considered official. No other verification will be accepted. Accepted students who have received a degree in China will not submit official transcripts from their schools; instead, they must have their degrees verified by the CDGDC.

Applicants with Chinese transcripts must contact the CDGDC after their degree is completed and request that their degree verification report be submitted directly to the University of Cincinnati. Students who request a verification report prior to degree conferral will be required to submit a second report after conferral.

Students who have completed coursework in China but have not received a degree will not be required to submit verification through the CDGDC.

Order a verification report from the CDGDC




Is the Counseling Program accredited?

Each of the degree granting programs (M.A., Mental Health Counseling; M.Ed., School Counseling; Ed.D., Counselor Education) is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Because our Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study is not a degree program, it is not covered by CACREP accreditation.

In addition to CACREP accreditation, the Counseling Program is located within the College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services (CECH), which is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).

What services are available for diverse students?

The Office of Ethnic Programs & Services at the University of Cincinnati was founded to provide a full range of specialized programs and services for minority students. In addition to student advisement and financial aid counseling, the Office of Minority Programs and Services fosters academic excellence, leadership development, and student involvement. Further, many educational and cultural programs of special interest to diverse students are sponsored by their office.

The position of Minority Recruiter and Academic Advisor has been established in the College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services (CECH). The major function of this position is to increase enrollment of under-represented ethnically diverse students. Services provided include pre-admission counseling, academic advising, and identification of educational funds available to historically underrepresented students who enter CECH.

What kinds of facilities are available for studies at U.C.?

Students in Counseling have access to a modern, spacious library for academic research, counseling facilities equipped with observation and recording equipment, advanced mainframe and personal computing equipment, and small classes taught by full-time and expert adjunct faculty.

How much emphasis is placed on research training?

The Counseling Program strives to train all its graduates to be intelligent, informed consumers and producers of research. Master's students are required to complete introductory courses in the design of research and the analysis of research data. Doctoral students complete a series of advanced courses in the design of research and the analysis of research data. Additionally, it is expected that all doctoral students engage in research projects during their first and second years by assisting faculty in their research endeavors. Doctoral students can expect to attend professional conferences and co-author peer-reviewed research papers with the faculty during their studies.

To learn all about the University of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati community, visit here.