Bachelors of Science in Paralegal Studies
The Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies will prepare you for a variety of paralegal job opportunities in a rapidly growing field. The utilization of paralegals improves the efficiency, economy, and availability of legal services. A paralegal performs substantive legal work under the direct supervision of an attorney. Paralegals must have knowledge and understanding of various legal concepts.
Responsibilities most often assigned to paralegals include maintaining client files, drafting correspondence, performing factual and legal research, monitoring deadlines, maintaining conflict-of-interest systems, drafting, investigating, and analyzing documents as well as acting as liaison with clients and others. Experienced paralegals often accompany counsel during trial and help with document management and organization, witness preparation, and research. These tasks may be performed in a variety of legal areas that include probate, real estate, family law, bankruptcy, corporate, litigation, and intellectual property.
The main goal of the Paralegal Studies Program is to provide you with a quality education in paralegal studies based in an ethical, technological, and contemporary understanding of the law that is responsive to the needs of the legal community.
Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as provided by law.
The paralegal program is approved by the American Bar Association. School of Criminal Justice is consistently ranked among the top 15 Best Criminal Justice Schools by US News & World Report and College Factual.
Upon graduation from the paralegal program, students will:
- Demonstrate effective legal knowledge and practical skills necessary to perform substantive legal work under the direction of an attorney
- Understand their ethical obligations in the legal profession
- Read, analyze, and synthesize complex information in an organized an logical manner
- Effectively communicate orally, in writing, and in interpersonal situations
- Be proficient in technology necessary to meet employer needs and provide the student with a quality education in paralegal studies based in an ethical, technological, and contemporary understanding of the law that is responsive to the needs of the legal community.
Please click on the link below for program and application requirements.