Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions:


Why would I want to do this program?

If you enjoyed your STEM disciplinary coursework but do not see yourself working in the field or have been working in the field and would like a change, this is the right program for you. People who pursue this program are interested in teaching at the secondary (grades 7-12) level in a public or private school that requires a State issued teaching license.

Would this program help me to get a job teaching a STEM subject at a University or College?

No. The typical academic qualifications to teaching STEM courses at the College level require a PhD (although some may allow it with a masters degree) in the STEM discipline.

Can I do this program and NOT get a teaching license?

No. At this time the program is linked to receiving a teaching license. If you want an education degree but not a teaching license, you should consider masters degree in education such as Educational Studies or Curriculum and Instruction.

If I complete this program am I guaranteed a teaching license?

No. This program provides you with all the requirements needed to meet the State of Ohio and National requirements for a teaching license, however UC has very high standards for our pre-service teachers and you are assessed on these repeatedly throughout the program. If after appropriate intervention and support are provided by the program to support you in meeting these standards and you still have not achieved them, we will not recommend you to the State of Ohio for a teaching license.

If I do not want to teach right away, say I want to work in my STEM field for 5 or so years before teaching, is this a good program for me?

Generally no.  Teaching is highly regulated and the rules and requirements change with some regularity, therefore there is a limit to how long an initial teaching license program is acceptable without having to take additional course work when you try to teach. It would be easier to begin a license program a few years before you go into teaching.

What high school subjects can I receive a teaching license in with this program?

Teacher licensing is a complex process and the State of Ohio offers many different teaching licenses, however the University of Cincinnati offers only a selection of these. So in this program you would have to select one of the math or science licenses we are accredited to offer. These are

·        Integrated mathematics – this covers all math classes taught in grades 7 – 12

·        Single subject physics – this covers general science grades 7 & 8; physical science and physics classes, including AP with appropriate training.

·        Single subject chemistry - this covers general science grades 7 & 8; physical science and chemistry classes, including AP with appropriate training.

·        Single subject Life Sciences - this covers general science grades 7 & 8; physical science and biology classes, including AP with appropriate training.

·        Integrated Science - this covers all science classes taught in grades 7 – 12

Can I get one of the science licenses and a mathematics license? 

Yes, We have designed a pathway leading to a Physics and a Mathematics license approved by the State of Ohio. However, you must meet both sets of requirements, therefore details need to be carefully coordinated between you and the program. You would not be required to take additional education course work, but you would need to meet content requirements and pass appropriate tests in both areas.

Can I do this program and NOT get a teaching license?

No. If you accepts scholarship funds for this program, you must pursue apply for your teaching license and commit to teaching TWO (2) years in a high needs school in the five years after completing the program.

If I complete this program am I gaurenteed a teaching license?

Up-dated spring 2022

No. The program provides you with support and all the requirements needed to meet the State of Ohio requirements for a teaching license. Once successfully completed and licensing tests passed, we will recommend you to the State of Ohio as qualified for a teaching license. However, UC has very high standards for our pre-service teachers. Your progress on these Standards is assessed regularly throughout the program. If you are not making satisfactory progress, the program will work with you to develop an action plan to support you in meeting these standards. If you still have not achieved the required standards, we will not recommend you to the State of Ohio for a teaching license.

Can I teach in a State other than Ohio after completing this program?

In general, yes. Most states have a system for teachers to transfer their teaching licenses from one state to another. The specifics of what is required would be addressed on a state-by-state level after you have received an Ohio teaching license. As a UC Noyce DSDST graduate you would be required to teach in a high needs district in one of the 50 US states.

If I do not want to teach right away, say I want to work in my field for 5 or so years before teaching, is this a good program for me?

No. The Noyce grant requirements, set by the NSF, requires you to complete your two year teaching commitment within five years of completing your licensing program. It’s recommended you begin a licensing program immediately prior to when you intend to go start teaching.

Would the UC Noyce DSDST plus Masters degree help me to get a job teaching a STEM or other disciplinary subject at a University or College?

No. By accepting a UC Noyce DSDST scholarship you are committing to teaching in a high needs school. Further, the typical academic qualifications to teach courses at the College level require a PhD, although some may allow it with a masters degree, in the respective discipline.

Would I be able to teach engineering classes at a high school with this program?

Yes and no. Currently the State of Ohio does not have a teaching license specific to teaching engineering, nor does it require schools to teach engineering classes. Therefore, if a school is offering an engineering class, it is being taught be a teacher who is licensed in another subject area. Based on a particular school’s needs and your background, you may be asked to teach an engineering class.

Would I be able to get a license to teach CS (computer science) in this program?

This is a complicated question, but the short answer is no. UC does not offer a license in any of the CS areas. This are considered a “vocational technology” licenses and we do not have the capacity for them at this time. Although we do not offer a license for CS areas, if you have a background in CS you may be able to work with a hiring school to allow you to teach in CS.

Can I do this program as a post-bachelor’s student and not receive a Masters degree?

Yes. The following section details programmatic portions of the masters plus licensing. A post-bachelors teaching certificate without the teaching license would follow a similar path, but not require the final 12 graduate credits. This is best discussed on an individual basis to best fit each student’s needs.

Up-dated spring 2022

Program Detail Questions for the CI Master plus Teaching License:

What is required in the UC Noyce DSDST CI masters plus teaching license curriculum?

The curriculum is complex and must be tailored to each student; however the easiest way to think of it is in clusters that meet different sets of requirements. These clusters include:

a) A STEM disciplinary undergraduate degree

b) The teaching license disciplinary content requirements

c)The teaching license educational and pedagogical requirements

d) Additional masters degree courses

There are overlaps in each of these clusters and what makes the curriculum unique to each student is where these overlaps occur.

How many total credits is the program?

a) Disciplinary Content – (ranges from 39 credits to 70 credits)

The total number of program content credits varies based on the relationship between a) and b) above and how much intersection there is here. Here are some examples:

• An integrated mathematics teaching license you will need at least a math minor and some additional course such as college level geometry in addition to a STEM disciplinary degree in another area (typically physics or engineering).

• The science licenses have different disciplinary requirements depending on the content area but all are based on the subject area major degrees (physics, biology, chemistry, geology) then, in most cases, some additional content courses to meet the breadth of science requirements. Different fields in engineering transfer differently to the science areas and content waivers can be applied for some standard content courses.

All applicants have their transcripts reviewed for content course work gaps prior to beginningthe program. There is some space to take additional content course work, but due to the expedited nature of UC Noyce DSDST program we will require at least 75% of their content distribution completed prior to beginning the program.

b) Educational and pedagogical

The total EDUCATION credit requirements for the masters + teacher licensing is 51 credits this includes clinical experiences and student teaching.

18-21 credits fulfill requirements for both the masters degree and teaching license.

21 credits are required for the teaching license but cannot be counted towards the masters degree.

9-12 credits to complete the masters degree beyond the teaching license.

Can I complete this program online?

No. The masters plus licensing is considered a campus-based program, however 18 credits (6 courses) are offered only in an online format. The remaining courses are held either on UC’s main campus or in school-based clinical settings. Students who begin the program in the fall semester will likely be taking all online courses that semester, but after that can expect to have a mix of campus-based, online, and school-based courses.

In what semester can I begin the masters + licensure program?

The start time for the Noyce DSDST program is summer. It may be possible to take some courses prior to the summer start (needed disciplinary content or general education courses) but the DSDST program starts in June and you complete the licensing portion in May of the next year.

Do I have to complete the masters degree to get my teaching license and take a job?

No. In fact, we recommend you complete the teaching license requirements and begin your career. The final courses you need for the masters degree can be taken while you are working and are offered online.

Are there other things I need to do beyond successfully completing UC courses and my teaching

experiences for my teaching license?

1. Yes. To be in the program you have met the following entry requirements:

  • Undergraduate GPA of 3.0
  • Teaching content GPA of 2.8
  • 75% of license disciplinary content completed

2. Prior to your summer field experience, you must have:

  • A criminal background check (BCI/FBI) completed and cleared indicating you will be eligible for a teaching license
  • Purchased our accreditation management system TK20

3. Prior to applying for your teaching license, you must (in addition to completing the program)

pass the Ohio Educators Assessment (OEA tests)

  • 7-12 Teaching and learning test
  • Disciplinary content test

What is the specific secondary education licensing course work?

Overview of Secondary Education Teacher Licensing Courses
Undergrad. course Name Graduate Equivalent
EDST 1001 Introduction to Education (F,S) CI 7004                             
CI 1001 Educational Technology IDT 7130
HDCE 2003 Human Development: Adolescence EDST 7030
EDST 1002 Education Psychology EDST 8035
CI 3003 Teaching and learning in Diverse Classrooms CI 7003
LSLS* 4014 Disciplinary Literacy in Sec. Sch. LSLS* 7014
SPED 1001 Individuals with Exceptionalities SPED 6001

Content specific licensing courses include and must be taken in this sequence

7018                                Introductory Secondary Methods [content]

7025                                Secondary Practicum Experience I

SEC 702X                         Intermediate Secondary Methods [content]

SEC 7026                         Secondary Practicum Experience II

SEC 713X                         Secondary Advanced Methods [content]

SEC 6191                         Student Teaching

Additional Courses to Complete Masters Degree
Course # Title Credit/Degree
CI 7002 Curriculum & Instruction Theories and Trends 3M
CI 7001 Educational Research for Masters Students 3M
CI 7090 Master Project: Curriculum & Instruction 3M
  Elective (must be graduate level, can be in the discipline) 3M