Field experiences conducted in the classrooms of mentor teachers are critical components of teacher education preparation. The School of Education appreciates the generous support from mentor teachers across the Greater Cincinnati Area in guiding and supporting the professional development of pre-service educators.
Becoming a Mentor Teacher
Special Education senior Alex Yersky nominated his mentor for the Ohio Association of Teacher Education 2016 Mentor of the Year. Mary Cline, from Chase Elementary in Cincinnati Public Schools was selected as the 2016 award winner.
Area teachers interested in mentoring pre-service teachers must meet the following criteria:
- Be licensed in the content area aand grade level they will mentor
- Have a minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- Have a minimum of 1 year teaching experience in the current school
- Remain present or provide a substitute teacher in the classroom with the candidate
- Demonstrate a positive view of the professions and students they teach
- Be willing to participate in online or face-to-face orientation/training
- Implement varied forms of instruction, classroom management, and assessment in their classrooms
- Support candidate through routine feedback about planning, instruction, assessment, classroom management, and candidate progress.
- Complete periodic written observation feedback and documentation required for programs to meet national accreditation requirements
Mentor teachers should make sure administration approves of their participation in hosting a pre-service educator.
Current Mentor Teachers
Listed below are links to more program-specific information and deadlines.
Mentors currently working with pre-service teachers in their classrooms will be able to find program specific handbooks, resources, and assessment forms by clicking on the appropriate program link below as they become available:
To volunteer to mentor, contact the appropriate personnel:
Coordinator of Office of Field Experiences
Secondary (Grades 7-12) Field Coordinator
Middle Childhood Education (Grades 4-9) Field Coordinator
Early Childhood Education (Grades 1-3) Field Coordinator
Early Childhood Education (Birth-PreK) Online Field Coordinator
Early Childhood Education (PreK-K) Field Coordinator
Special Education (multi-age) Field Coordinator