Professional Development : Special Education
Why study Professional Development : Special Education?
As a field, special education provides direct and indirect services for individuals with disabilities. Some services provided by people in the field of special education include K-12 education, rehabilitation for occupational development and daily independence, community-based case management, disability advocacy, school and individualized consultation services and various other services related to individuals with disabilities and their families. Through education, community awareness and ecologically-based service delivery, the focus of special education is to enhance and better the lives of all individuals with disabilities.
Students must have an existing bachelor's degree to apply and transcripts may be evaluated for possibile transfer credit.
- Initial Teaching License
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.8 from all college work attempted
- Complete the application.
- Submit the following documents along with the online application:
- Candidate Information sheet.
- Commitment Form.
- Recommendation from principal or immediate supervisor (on letterhead) (Provided in sealed envelope, with signature of individual across seal).
- Recommendation from another individual familiar with your success as a teacher (colleague, parent, school psychologist, etc.) (Provided in sealed envelope, with signature of individual across seal).
- Copies of official transcripts from all college/university work attempted.
- Copies of all teaching licenses/certificates.
- Copies of the following reports:
- BCI report (Please send a copy and keep the original for your records.)
- FBI report (Please send a copy and keep the original for your records.)
- Negative TB Test Results (Please send a copy and keep the original for your records.)
- Complete an Authorization for Release of Records form.
- Complete a Good Moral Character and Conduct form (please remember to have a witness sign/date this form in the appropriate place)
- Please reach out to Dr. Kathryn Doyle at firstname.lastname@example.org for the link to upload all admission documents to the TK20 application.
Ohio Assessment for Educators licensure test
Candidates who succeed in special education demonstrate:
- a history of academic success
- the ability to collaborate with others, including those from diverse populations
- leadership characteristics
- responsible, caring, fair, honest and ethical behavior
- a commitment to social justice and a diverse society
- a history of good critical thinking and problem solving
- enthusiasm for working with children and adults with disabilities
- a commitment to equity and the betterment of individuals with disabilities
In general, graduates of the special education program work as intervention specialists (teachers) in various K-12 education settings, including schools, hospitals, vocational training facilities and other institutions providing educational services for individuals with disabilities. Some graduates of the special education program work as advocates and/or case managers for social agencies.
Students in the Post-Baccalaureate program are advised by:
PO BOX 210022
Cincinnati, OH 45221
Formed as the Teachers College in 1905, the College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services continually merits local, state and national recognition. Recent commendations include:
- accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), the organization responsible for professional accreditation of teacher education
- a 65th ranking in U.S. News & World Report
- the Best Practice Award from the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE)
- consistently high scores by candidates on state mandated licensure exams
In addition, the special education program provides small classes, talented faculty in each discipline and extensive field clinical experiences in urban and suburban schools.
PO BOX 210022
Cincinnati, OH 45221
Find related programs in the following interest areas:
Program Code: 18UOP-NMAT18-PDU-PDU-SPED