Stay Connected with CECH
Our Faculty and Staff
Glenn C Markle
Title: Professor, Science Education
Glenn Markle received his doctorate in science education from the University of Georgia in 1974. He is a Professor of Education and serves as coordinator of the Curriculum and Instruction Program. Dr. Markle teaches graduate-level courses on instructional methods and educational research. His research focuses on the impact of instructional approaches and curriculum on student learning and attitudes. He has published numerous articles on teaching and learning and regularly presents papers at professional meetings.
- Ed.D., University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1974 (Science Education).
- M.Ed., University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1968 (Science Education).
- B.S. Education, California University of Pennsylvania, California, PA, 1965 (Physics, Mathematics, General Science).
- (PI), Markle, Glenn, Intergovernmental Personnel Act Assignment to NSF for Professor Glen Markle, National Science Foundation. (ESI-0552126), $378,778.00. 09/06/2005 to 09/05/2007. Status: Closed.
- (PI), Markle, Glenn, Electrical Safety Curriculum, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. (0000136635-2 NCE), $24,000.00. 07/10/2001 to 11/01/2002. Status: Closed.
- (PI), Markle, Glenn, Diversifying the Teaching Force, Ohio Department of Education. (DT-S1-2001), $190,000.00. 06/01/2002 to 05/31/2004. Status: Closed.
- (PI), Markle, Glenn, Designing and Pilot Testing Inquiry Oriented Courses for Elementary and Middle School Teachers, Ohio's Systemic Initiative - Discovery. (OSP00104), $85,000.00. 02/01/1999 to 09/01/2001. Status: Closed.
- (Collaborator), Fowler, Thaddeus; Markle, Glenn, Ohio Core Support, Ohio Board of Regents. (ODE HQT-1), $643,250.00. 09/01/2007 to 08/31/2009. Status: Closed.
- (Collaborator), Abot, Jandro; Breiner, Jonathan; Koehler, Catherine; Kukreti, Anant; Lu, Mingming; Maltbie, Catherine; Markle, Glenn; Rutz, Eugene; Shanov, Vesselin; Sorial, George; Wei, Heng, Sustainable Engineering for Urban Needs: Research Experiences for Middle and High School Teachers, National Science Foundation. (EEC-0808696), $455,000.00. 06/01/2009 to 05/31/2014. Status: Active.
- Bethany Vice Bowling, Erin Acra, Lihshing Wang, Melanie Myers, Gary Dean, Glenn Markle, Christine Moskalik, Carl Heuther (2008). Development and Evaluation of a Genetics Literacy Assessment Instrument for Undergraduates. Genetics, 178 (1), 15.
- Bowling,B., Huether,C., Lihshing,W., Myers,M., Markle,G., Dean,G., Acra,E., Wray,F., and Jacob,G. (2008). Genetic literacy of undergraduate non-science majors and the impact of introductory biology and genetics courses. Bioscience, 58 (7), 654-660.
- Pultorak,Edward G., Markle,Glenn C. (2008). Snapshots of Chinese Classrooms Illustrate Disparities. Phi Delta Kappan, 90 (1), 45-49.
- Hott, A. M., Huether, C. A., McInerney, J. D., Christianson, C., Fowler, R., Bender, H., Jenkins, J., Wysocki, A., Markle, G., & Karp, R. (2002). Genetics content in introductory biology courses for non-science majors: theory and practice. Bioscience (11), 1024-1035.
- Markle,Glenn (1982). Generating Good Vibrations for Science. Science Teacher, 49 (4).
- Markle,Glenn C. (1978). Assessing the Validity and Reliability of the Subject Preference Inventory with Preservice Elementary Teachers. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 15 (6), 519-522.
- Markle,Glenn, Capie,William (1976). The Effect of the Position of Inserted Questions on Learning From an Activity-Centered Science Module. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 13, 167-170.
Presentations & Lectures
- Markle, G. (03-2004). A physics instructional design to improve cognitive skills and scientific reasoning Paper presented at the National Association for Research in Science Teaching Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC.
- Markle, G. (02-2004). Alternative teacher certification: Does it promote quality and professionalism? Paper presented at the Association for Teachers Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX.