Stay Connected with CECH
Our Faculty and Staff
Jonathan M. Breiner
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 511.11 Teachers College
- PhD, University of Cincinnati, 1996 (Chemistry).
- BS, University of Cincinnati, 1990 (Chemical Engineering).
I am continuing research of my chemistry classes including questions related to the difference between teaching via inquiry or more traditional methods. Some questions I am examining include:
- How do students’ conceptions of the Nature of Science change when taught by inquiry?
- How do students attitudes towards STEM change when taught by inquiry?
- Is there a difference in the level of scientific literacy obtained when students are taught by inquiry versus cookbook labs?
- hold study groups, Success Challenge from UC. $2500 . 2000 to 2004.
- Development of science courses for pre-service teachers, OHEN. $4000 . 2005 to 2006.
- summer professional development workshop for In-Service Teachers, Southwest Ohio Center for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Education. $23,000 . 2006.
- (Collaborator), Abot, Jandro; Breiner, Jonathan; Koehler, Catherine; Kukreti, Anant; Lu, Mingming; Maltbie, Catherine; Markle, Glenn; Rutz, Eugene; Shanov, Vesselin; Sorial, George; Wei, Heng, Sustainable Engineering for Urban Needs: Research Experiences for Middle and High School Teachers, National Science Foundation. (EEC-0808696), $455,000.00. 06-01-2009 to 05-31-2014. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Breiner, Jonathan; Escoe, Gisela; Gaffney, James; Harkness, Marshella; Johnson, Carla, The Cincinnati STEM Hub Partnership Cincy-STEM, Ohio Board of Regents. (OBR COF 09-08), $185,280.00. 07-01-2009 to 06-30-2015. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Breiner, Jonathan; Fowler, Thaddeus; Haring, Karen; Harkness, Marshella; Kemphaus, Ralph; Maynard, Kathie; Meyer, Helen, Ohio Innovation Partnership Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program, Ohio Board of Regents. (OIP Agreement), $2,056,250.00. 04-05-2010 to 06-30-2015. Status: Active.
Presentations & Lectures
- J Breiner (04-2003). Blackboard as a Facilitation Tool Presented at the University of Cincinnati’s FTRC Teaching with Technology Series, Cincinnati, OH.
- J. Breiner, L. Cain (02-2004). Criminal Justice to Chemistry: Funding Activities with Students 23rd Annual Conference on First-Year Experience, Addison, TX.
- J Breiner (03-2006). Preparation for Science Opportunities at UC March to College Day sponsored by local chapter of National Society of Collegiate Scholars for 300 Cincinnati Public School students, Cincinnati, OH.
- Breiner, J. M. (03-2006). Developing a chemistry course for pre-service teachers Spring National American Chemical Society Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- J. Breiner (06-2006). Developing a chemistry course for pre-service teachers Ohio Higher Education Network Meeting, Dayton, OH.
- J Breiner (07-2006). Developing a chemistry course for pre-service teachers American Chemical Society Summer Conference: Creation of the Ideal Pre-Service Teacher Chemistry Course, Washington DC.
- J. Breiner, C Ackermann (05-2007). K-16 forensic science collaborations to engage students in the classrooms Central Region American Chemical Society Meeting, Covington, KY.
- Brown, J., Breiner J.M. (03-2012). The Impact of Inquiry Experiences and Explicit Nature of Science Instruction on Pre-Service Teachers’ Conceptions of the Nature of Science Spring Research Conference, University of Louisville.
- A. Burrows, J.M. Breiner, M. Borowczak (03-2012). Teachers Engineer a Wiki Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (SITE), Nashville, TN.
- Maynard, K., Breiner, J.M. (01-2012). Building Communities of Practice: A K-20 Professional Development (PD) Effort. . Tampa, FL. Level: International.
Honors & Awards
- Honorary Member of the International Golden Key Honour Society, 03-2006. Inducted (after student nomination) as Honorary Member of the International Golden Key Honour Society which recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement and excellence by students in over 350 colleges.
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars, 09-2006. Inducted (after student nomination) as member in National Society of Collegiate Scholars which includes only top 20% of students in American colleges.
Experience & Service
- GEAR-UP Program. Six years in charge of the chemistry portion of a 3-week academic camp for 7th and 8th grade African-American students.
- CSI-Cincinnati, GEAR-UP Program summer camp.
- Co-chaired and planned a two-part seminar entitled Science Education at the High School and Undergraduate Level (2004.
- Chaired and planned a two seminar event for faculty at UC by David McConnell, Both seminars centered on Use of Technology to Engage Students in the Classroom (2005.