Stay Connected with CECH
Our Faculty and Staff
Mary Barbara Boat
Title: Associate Professor and Director
School of Education
Office: 615B Teachers College
Dr. Mary Boat received her PhD. in Educational Psychology-Special Education with concentrations in early childhood and developmental disabilities from the University of Minnesota. Prior to coming to the University of Cincinnati, Dr. Boat was a faculty member at Western Carolina University where she worked with the interdisciplinary birth through kindergarten teacher licensure program. Dr. Boat's primary focus is young children with or at risk for disabilities. She has conducted research and published in the areas of social competence in preschool age children with disabilities, program development in teacher education, effective instruction in preschool settings/Head start, and assessment in early childhood. She is the recipient of federal and state funding including grants related to assessment and instruction in early childhood/Head Start and developing on-line teacher education for working with infants and toddlers and their families.
- (Collaborator), Boat, Mary Barbara; Holstrom, Lisa; Neal, Melissa, Online Associates Degree for Infant/Toddler Teachers, Administration for Children and Families. (90YD0271-01), $3,000,000.00. 09-30-2008 to 09-29-2012. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Boat, Mary Barbara; Brown, Rhonda; Carr, Victoria; Johnson, Carla; Kloos, Adelheid; Kuschner, David; Meyer, Helen; Moomaw, Sally Coup; Pan, Wei; Plevyak, Linda, Playscapes: Designed Nature Environments to Promote Informal Science Learning, National Science Foundation. (NSF DRL-1114674), $330,124.00. 10-01-2011 to 09-30-2013. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Boat, Mary Barbara; Brown, Rhonda; Carr, Victoria; Kloos, Adelheid; Maltbie, Catherine; Plano Clark, Vicki, STEM in the PlayScape: Building Knowledge for Educational Practice, National Science Foundation. (DRL-1516191), $1,116,905.00. 01-15-2016 to 12-31-2018. Status: Awarded.
- Dinnebeil, L.A., Boat, M.B., & Bae, Y. (2012). (In Press). Integrating Principles of Universal Design into the Early Childhood Curriculum.. Dimensions in Early Childhood.
- Boat, M.B., Dinnebeil, L.A., Bae, Y (2010). Individualizing instruction for preschool children. . Dimensions in Early Childhood, 38,, 3-11.
- Moomaw, S., Carr, V, Boat, M.B., & Barnett, D (2010). Preschoolers’ number sense. . Teaching Children Mathematics (NCTM), , 16,, 332-340.
- Boat, M.B., Carr, V.C., Barnett, D, Macmann, G., Moomaw, S., Pan, W., & Nichols, A (2009). Instructional change in preschool classrooms: A study of empirically-based teacher support.. NHSA Dialog: A Research to Practice Journal for the Early Intervention Field, 12 (4), 307-326..
- Boat, M.B., Carr, V.C., Barnett, D, Macmann, G., Moomaw, S., Pan, W., & Nichols, A. (2009). Improving instruction in head start preschool classrooms through feedback and support to teachers. . NHSA Dialog: A Research to Practice Journal for the Early Intervention Field, , 12 (4 ), 347-353.
- Boat,M.B., Zorn, D., Austin, J.T. (2005). Assessment for accountability in early childhood programs: Lessons learned in Ohio. . NHSA Dialog: A Research to Practice Journal for the Early Intervention Field, 8 (1), 5-15.
- Carpenter, D., Bloom, L., & Boat, M.B (1999). Socially valid outcomes as quality indicators for special education practices. . Intervention in Schools and Clinics, 34 (3), 143-149.
- Hupp, S.C., Boat, M.B., & Alpert, A.S. (1992). Impact of adult interaction on play behaviors and emotional responses of preschoolers with developmental delays. . Education and Training in Mental Retardation, , 27,, 145-152.
- Malone, D.M.; Boat, M.B. (2005). Intellectual and developmental disabilities: Toward full community (3rd ed.). Early childhood intervention (pp.51-92). Austin, TX: Pro-ed.
- Boat, M.B. (2005). Case studies in human services consultation. School based collaborative teaming in special education services Florence, KY: Brooks/Cole publishing.
- Boat,M.B.; V,Carr (2004). Creating a place for all children: responding to challenging behaviors in early childhood setting. How do I know when I need outside help? Baltimore, MD.
- Malone, D.M.; Boat, M.B. (2002). Mental retardation and developmental disabilities (3rd ed.). Early childhood intervention Austin, TX: ProEd Publishers.
- Boat, M.B.; Boat, B.W. (1995). Case studies in human services consultation. School-based collaborative learning in special education services Pacific Grove, CA.