CECH Grading Policy
In Spring 2020 and Summer 2020, CECH graduate and undergraduate students will be given the option to convert a class grade to “P” (pass). Instructors will continue to submit letter grades for classes. Only grades of “C-” or better will have the option of being converted to a “P” grade. For spring 2020, students will be given until May 13, 2020 to request that a grade be converted to a “P”. A student may choose this option on a class-by-class basis, and there is not a limit to the number of grades that can be converted. Specific instructions for completing this process in Catalyst are provided by the Office of the Registrar. A deadline date for summer 2020 courses will be announced in late July/early August.
Visit the information page provided by the Office of the Registrar for:
- Instructions on using Catalyst to covert one or more of your grades to a “P”.
- A GPA calculator to project the effects of selecting a “P” grade for one or more of your classes on your semester and cumulative GPAs.
For graduate students expecting to graduate in spring 2020: to avoid delays in processing your graduation certification, we highly recommend that you request any Pass (P) grades in Catalyst by Friday, May 8 at 9 a.m.
A “P” has a neutral effect on your GPA – it neither raises it nor lowers it. It has no quality points attached. An “F” in the P/F grading scale is still an “F” and carries a 0.0 GPA.
For Spring and Summer 2020, the university decided that only grades of “C-” or better would be included in the automatic Pass (P) option. If you are concerned that your grade will be less than a “C-” due to the hardships you have incurred while learning remotely, please discuss this issue with your professor now.
No. Instructors will continue to submit letter grades for courses, and students have the OPTION to convert grades of “C-” or better on a case -by-case basis to a “P”.
No. Students must initiate the change themselves in Catalyst for courses they wish to convert to a “P”. In many cases, keeping the letter grade awarded may make most sense for students. Instructions for how to complete this process in Catalyst are provided by the Registrar’s Office. Students will have until 11:59 p.m. on May 13th to elect to change a grade to a “P”.
No. CECH has chosen to give students the option to switch to Pass (P) in courses where they’ve earned a “C-” or higher – no one must switch. Each student can decide what is best for their individual goals and circumstances. After the grading deadline, you will have through May 13 to make changes in Catalyst, if you chose to do so. Instructions will be forthcoming once the new programming in Catalyst has happened.
After the grading deadline, you will be able to log into Catalyst and make a case-by-case decision for every course on your schedule where you have earned a “C-” or better. Grades of “D” or “F” will not have the option to be changed.
The CECH decision to give CECH students a choice of changing a grade of “C-” or better to a Pass (P) follows you, regardless of the course in which you are enrolled. So, in your case, you would have the option to change your grade of “C-” or better to a Pass (P) although the course itself is in a different college.
Changing from a grade of “C-” or better to a Pass (P) may impact your grade replacement request. Please work with your advisor before making any changes to your Spring grades.
If you are on academic alert of probation, you should work with your advisor to be aware of the impact of choosing a “P” on your academic progression status.
For all CECH programs, a “P” will satisfy degree program and pre-requisite requirements. This decision may vary in other colleges.
Provided you earn at least six credit hours and a 3.4 for the semester, you will be eligible for the Dean’s List regardless of how many grades you convert to a “P”.
You will need to ask the original instructor to restore the original grade. Instructors can only change grades for up to one year in Catalyst. You are encouraged to complete this change within one year, otherwise tracking instructors down and using the paper grade change form may be challenging.
Here’s a sample schedule, with final grades and options you could choose:
- JUDC2028: “A-“ (do not convert to Pass (P), keep the “A-“!)
- CJ3027: “B-“ (you may or may not convert to Pass (P))
- CHEM1040: “C” (After talking to your advisor, you may want to convert to “P”. That grade will count as the pre-req for CHEM1041.)
- SPAN1001: “D” (you do not have the option to make a change)
Key Takeaways for CECH Students
- The CECH Pass/Fail option is just that for students: an option. Traditional letter grades are the default.
- The Office of the Registrar has provided more information about how to complete this process in Catalyst, in addition to a GPA calculator to examine the impact of grade changes to your GPA.
- The CECH Pass/Fail option is an option that can be enacted on a class-by-class basis, and there is not a limit to the number of classes in which a grade can be converted to a “P”.
- Only grades of “C-“ or better can be converted to a “P” grade.
- Most important, you do not need to make any decisions or do anything until grades are posted. For spring 2020, once your instructors have submitted your final grades, you may log in to Catalyst to change grades for one or more of your classes to the "P" grade. This option will only be available for spring 2020 grades from Friday, May 1, 2020 at 8:00 am EST through Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 11:59 pm EST.