Looking to support students’ literacy learning or second language capabilities? Pick an emphasis that’s right for you.
What is Literacy and Second Language Studies?
The Master of Education in Literacy and Secondary Language Studies focuses on reading, writing, and speaking as language processes. Our program takes students on a journey to deepen their understanding of the social, cultural, linguistic and institutional factors that contribute to a learner’s ability to use reading, writing, and speaking in their first or second language.
Literacy and Secondary Language Studies Career Opportunities
Earning a Master’s of Education in Literacy and Secondary Language Studies creates additional opportunities for an educator’s career choices. With an ever-increasing need to support literacy and language learners from pre-school to adult, some of the opportunities for LSLS Master’s graduates include:
- Reading Specialist
- ESL Teacher
- Intervention Specialist
- Learning & Performance Consultant
- Professional Development Coordinator/Facilitator
- Curriculum Designer
- Community ESL Director
Schedule an appointment
Schedule an appointment with our Graduate Enrollment Advisor for a time that works best for your schedule. Otherwise, fill out the form below to receive information via email.
The four emphases of the LSLS program
The LSLS program highlights four emphases within its coursework:
- Designing and implementing reading, writing, and speaking curricula in Literacy and TESOL.
- Assessing and evaluating reading, writing, and speaking challenges for native and non-native English speakers.
- Practicing varied instructional methods to foster literacy learning across the diversity of student populations.
- Developing strategies for critically analyzing research in the fields of literacy and second language studies.
We offer two concentrations!
You can narrow your coursework to one of two areas of concertation to tailor your educational experience.
- PreK-12 Literacy Learning Instruction
- PreK-12 Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL)
- Post-Secondary Literacy Instruction
The Literacy and Second Language Studies program at the University of Cincinnati is currently providing me with an incredible graduate education experience. The LSLS program is fully preparing me to further my teaching career, as well as discover the best practices, strategies, and methods to serve the ever-changing needs of my diverse students. I have truly enjoyed the interactive, rigorous, and engaging courses and caring, helpful professors that I have had the opportunity to work with throughout my program.
Melanie Oberle Primary ELL Teacher
Looking for Professional Development?
The courses in our curriculum can satisfy most professional development course requirements. Some of those courses includes topics in the following:
- PreK-12 Literacy Learning and Instruction
- Literacy as a Linguistic and Cultural Tool
- Literacy Learning and Instruction, PreK-12
- Teaching English as a Second language
- Applied Linguistics
- PreK-12 TESOL Methods
To learn more about Professional Development opportunities and our LSLS program, fill out the form and our Graduate Enrollment Advisor will connect with you directly!