What is the PROBLEM?
There are several groups of students who tend to not pursue a pathway of study to science, technology, advanced manufacturing, engineering, math, and health careers. The groups that are underrepresented are girls and women, minorities, first generation to attend college, those with physical handicaps, and anyone who is financially disadvantaged.
Who SHOULD attend?
Representatives from each community sector: K12 education, colleges, community development groups, youth development groups, business, museums and informal education, government, and agencies.
Why should YOU attend?
- Provide your insights and understandings.
- Interact with others who are like you and others different from you.
- Stretch your thinking and develop new insights.
- Use your insights with the understandings of others to design new plans of action.
- Get ready for What Comes Next.
What is going to HAPPEN?
The work will start at noon on Thursday, March 2 and extend all through Friday, ending with lunch on Saturday, March 4. We will work together in small groups using a tried and true process with excellent facilitators to understand what is working and what are the contributing problems. Then we will dig in to find new ways of thinking and involving people, finally designing practical and promising actions. The work will be continuous and unrelenting! It is important that attendees be able to participate for considerable blocks of time. And on the bright side we will have good food: light lunch and working dinner Thursday, all meals Friday, and breakfast buffet and lunch Saturday. If you have considerable travel to get to the summit, we can provide two nights lodging at the hotel.
Summit Agenda Overview:
Day 1: Building Collective Knowledge (12:00pm to 8:30pm)
- Model Shop: Collaborate with a diverse team to build backbone organization.
- Fire Starters: Join a conversation led by national leads in Collective Impact.
- History of the Future: Create a vision of the past and future.
Day 2: Generating Ways Forward (8:30am to 7:00pm)
- Opportunity Identification: Identify the biggest opportunities for impact.
- Scenario Based Ideation: Generate new ideas for increasing STEM representation.
Day 3: Moving into Action (8:00am to 1:00pm)
- Bucketing: Choose your focus area, build a team and set outcomes.
- Team Action: Design a path forward and share it with the summit.
Attendees receive all meals and free parking. For out of town attendees, a two night stay at the hotel will also be provided.