Stay Connected with CECH
Scientific Research in Children’s Literacy Lab
Generating Knowledge. Creating Practice. Training the Future.
The Scientific Research in Children’s Literacy Lab (SRCL) is a research and teaching laboratory organized by faculty in the School of Education at the University of Cincinnati. SRCL conducts research in partnership with practitioners in school settings and families at home to:
- explore factors (e.g., cognitive, social, linguistic, ecological) important to and associated with children’s language, reading, and writing skills;
- develop and evaluate the impact of early language and literacy instructional practices and interventions on children’s language, reading, and writing skills;
- develop and evaluate the impact of professional development models focused on children’s language, reading, and writing skills on practitioners’ knowledge and skills in the classroom;
- develop and validate classroom-based and child assessments in language, reading, and writing; and
- train undergraduate and graduate students in conducting educational research focused on children’s language, reading, and writing skills.
Our research is funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Institute of Education Sciences. Please visit our project page (coming soon!) to learn more about our research studies.
Testimony from Research Participants
“I love how the kid were fascinated by science books! The lesson content was appropriate and fun to teach and I know the kids loved them! I think TOPS brought to light some important concepts for me to stress during language lessons!”
- Renee Banal, MEd., Early Childhood Speech-Language Pathologist
“My positive comments about TOPS are many. The extra professional development of these unique and beneficial teaching strategies was very good. I am excited when I get to try out new ways to teach my children. I also enjoyed the materials and very detailed lesson plans/strategies to make sure that all areas were covered in the teaching of the lessons.”
- Lori Berry, Early Childhood Special Education Teacher