|Other Programs That May Interest You|
|Adult Teaching of English as a Second Language, Certificate
|PreK-12 Reading Speciality, Endorsement
|Post-Secondary Literacy Instruction, Certificate|
|School of Education's Graduate Programs and Majors
Literacy and Second Language Studies
Our online Master’s in Literacy and Second Language Studies is designed to encourage professional educators, like you, to broaden and deepen your understanding of the social, cultural, linguistic, and institutional factors that contribute to a person’s ability to read and write in a first or second language. Our program offers four concentration options: (1) PreK-16 Literacy and Learning Instruction, (2) Postsecondary Literacy Instruction, (3) PreK-12 Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) Focus, and (4) Adult/International Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) Focus.
By graduation, you will have:
- effective design and implementation of reading and writing curricula
- assessment and evaluation of reading and writing difficulties
- practice with a variety of instructional methods to foster the literacy learning of diverse student populations
- strategies for critically analyzing foundational and current research in the field of literacy and second language studies
The University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
The University of Cincinnati is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The PreK-16 Literacy Learning and Instruction is aligned with the International Literacy Association’s (2010) Standards for Reading Professionals. The Postsecondary Literacy Instruction concentration is aligned with the WPA/NCTE Framework for Success in Postsecondary Writing (2011) and the International Literacy Association’s (2010) Standards for Reading Professionals. The PreK-12 TESOL concentration and the Adult/International TESL concentration are aligned with the Teaching Standards of the TESOL Organization.
Find out more about the graduate Literacy & Second Language Studies curriculum.
The program offers courses in the following areas of concentration:
- PreK-16 Literacy and Learning Instruction
- Postsecondary Literacy Instruction
- PreK-12 Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Adult/International Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)