Stay Connected with CECH
Our Faculty and Staff
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 2150M EDWARDS 1 Edwards Center
Darwin L. Henderson holds a joint appointment in Literacy and Early Childhood Education. His research interests lie in 20th-Century African American writers and illustrators of literature for children and youth. His research is concentrated in the areas of cultural and critical analysis, reviews of literature texts, and interviews of acclaimed authors and illustrators. A former editor of the Profile column for the journal Language Arts, Darwin has served as an elected member of the advisory board of the Children’s Literature Assembly of the National Council of Teachers of English and is currently a member of the advisory board of the Children’s Defense Fund’s Langston Hughes Library. Darwin is the 2006-2007 Chair of the Coretta Scott King Book Award jury of the American Library Association. He teaches children’s literature, multicultural literature, and literacy in the Division of Teacher Education.
- Henderson, D. (2009). Angela Johnson: Engaged with the poetry of language. Journal of Children & apos;s Literature, 35 (2).
- Henderson, D. (2009). Who is Jamie Adoff?. Voice of Youth Advocate, 32 (5).
- Henderson,D.L. (2004). Profile: celebrating Ashley Bryan. Language Arts, 81(5), 436-439.
- Henderson,D.L. (2003). A conversation with Tony Medina: creating a literature of resistance. Ohio Journal of the English Language Arts, 43(2).
- Young, T., & Henderson, D. (2002). Chris Soentpiet: illustrating human emotions. Ohio Journal of the English Language Arts, 42(1), 58-63.
- Henderson,D.L. (2002). J. Patrick Lewis: rhythm, rhyme, and riddles. Ohio Journal of the English Language Arts, 42(2), 85-95.
- Henderson,D.L. (2001). Lois Lowry: composing scenes and images. Ohio Journal of the English Language Arts, 41(2).
- Henderson,D.L. (2001). Angela Johnson: tell me a story, Angela. Ohio Journal of the English Language Arts, 42(1).
- Henderson,D.L. (2000). Listening to the desert: a conversation with Pat Mora. Ohio Journal of English Language Arts, 41(1).
- Henderson,D.L. (1999). Issues of audience: ten books for discussion. Journal of Children, 25(2), 56-60.
- Henderson, D., & Manna, A. (1998). Evoking the holy and the horrible: conversations with Joyce Carol Thomas. African American Review, 32(1).
- Henderson,D.L. (1998). Soursoup, coconut, mangos, lime: Caribbean children's literature in the elementary classroom. The Caribbean Writer, 12.
- Henderson, D., & May, J. (2005). Exploring culturally diverse literature for children and adolescents: learning to listen in new ways. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Henderson, D., & Manna, A. (1997). Art and story: the role of illustration in multicultural literature for children and youth. In A.L. Manna; C.S. Brodie (Eds.), The wrinkle of skin, the fold of cloth: Conversations with Jerry Pinkney Fort Atkinson, WI: Highsmith Press.
Presentations & Lectures
- Jeter, C. C. & Henderson, D. L. (2006). What's new in African American literature for children and adolescents: A review of current trends Powerpoint presentation at the 22nd Annual Virginia Hamilton Conference, Kent State University, Kent, OH.
- Henderson, D.L. (2003). The Coretta Scott King Award-Winning books Paper presented at The Kentucky Library Association, Natural Bridge State Resort Park, Slade, KY.
- Henderson, D., Hickman, J., & Sims Bishop, R. (2003). A tribute to the work and life of Virginia Hamilton Paper presented at The Ohio State University's Children's Literature Conference, Columbus, OH.
- May, J.P. and Henderson, D.L. (2002). The day the writing stopped: Another look at 9/11 College English Association Annual Conference, Cincinnati, OH.
- Henderson, D. (03-2009). Presenting Ashley Bryan. Charlotte S. Huck Children's Literature Festival, Redlands, CA.
- Henderson, D. (03-2009). The African and African American Folktale in the Elementary Classroom. Charlotte S. Huck Children's Literature Festival, Redlands, CA.
- Henderson, D. (04-2009). The Coretta Scott King Award: 40 Years of Books and Winners. Virginia Hamilton Conference on Multicultural Literature for Children and Adolescence, Kent, OH.
- Henderson, D. (04/15/2010). African American children's literature: A discussionof history and books. Ethnic Literature Series: African American Children's Literature, Murphy Library (University of Wisconsin - La Crosse); La Crosse, WI.
Experience & Service
- Corretta Scott King Book Award 01-2009