Stay Connected with CECH
Our Faculty and Staff
Amy N. Farley
Title: Asst Professor
Office: 610K TEACHER-DYER
Amy Farley is an Assistant Professor of Education Policy in Educational Leadership in the School of Education. She completed her Ph.D. at the University of Colorado, with a dual emphasis in education policy and research and evaluation methodology. Her research addresses education policy and reform, using quantitative methods, program evaluation, and policy analysis to explore the impact of policy on students, teachers, and educational equity and opportunity. In particular, her recent work has focused on policy making mechanisms in education, including the growing use of ballot initiatives, and educator effectiveness policies including teacher compensation and evaluation reforms.
Before joining the University of Cincinnati, she was a Strategic Data Fellow through Harvard’s Center for Education Policy Research, where she worked closely with state and local agencies to conduct research and provide technical support in the implementation of state policies related to standards, educator evaluation, and student assessment. Following her fellowship, she became the Director of Research & Impact at her agency, where she led the development and execution of the research plan for a $20M grant and served as Principal Investigator on two additional grants through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Prior to graduate school, she taught 4th through 8th grade in Oregon.
- Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO, 2014 (Educational Foundations, Policy, & Practice; Research and Evaluation Methodology).
- M.Ed., University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, 2003 (Educational Leadership).
Education Policy & Reform: Use of Ballot Initiatives in Education Policy; Policy Implications for Traditionally Underserved Populations; Educator Effectiveness; Assessment & Accountability
Quantitative Methods: Survey Design; Measurement & Item Response Theory; Data Use
- (PI), Farley, Amy; Swoboda, Christopher, Law Student Success and Supports: Examining Bar Passage and Factors that Contribute to Student Performance, Association for Institutional Research. (RG15240), $50,000.00. 03/01/2017 to 02/28/2018. Status: Active.
- (PI), Lobue, Amy, Exploring Law Student Success at UC and Beyond: Bar Passage and Factors that Contribute to Student Performance, UC's Research Support. (URS AHHS and IR Advancement Grants AY 2017-2018), $30,000.00. 07/01/2017 to 12/31/2019. Status: Active.
- Goldhaber, D., Bignell, W., Farley, A., Walch, J., & Cowan, J. (2016). Who chooses incentivized pay structures?: Exploring the link between performance and preferences for compensation reform in the teacher labor market.. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 38 (2), 245-271. [Link]
- Moses, M., Saenz, L., & Farley, A. (2014). The central role of philosophy in a study of community dialogues. Studies in Philosophy and Education, 34 (2), 193-203. [Link]
- Farley, A. N., Gaertner, M., & Moses, M. S. (2013). Democracy under fire: Voter confusion & influences in Colorado’s anti-affirmative action initiative. Harvard Educational Review, 83 (3), 432-462. [Link]
- Moses, M., & Farley, A. N. (2011). Are ballot initiatives a good way to make education policy?: The case of affirmative action. Educational Studies, 47 (3), 260-279.
- Welner, K., & Farley, A. N. (2010). Confronting systemic inequity in education: High impact strategies for philanthropy. Washington, D.C.: National Committee For Responsive Philanthropy.
- Moses, M. S., Farley, A. N., Gaertner, M., Paguyo, C., Jackson, D., & Howe, K. R. (2010). Investigating the defeat of Colorado’s Amendment 46: An analysis of the trends and principal factors influencing voter behaviors. New York City: Public Interest Projects.
- Farley, A. N. (2013). Student Perception Survey technical report. . Submitted April, 2013 to the Colorado Education Initiative. [Link]
- Farley, A. N. (2011). Exceeds expectations incentive: Teacher characteristics and student achievement, 2011 Report Brief. Submitted May, 2011 to Denver Public Schools. [Link]
- Fulbeck, E., & Farley, A. N. (2010). Teachers’ attitudes, behaviors & student achievement, 2010 Report Brief. Submitted May, 2010 to Denver Public Schools. [Link]
Honors & Awards
- Strategic Data Fellowship. Center for Education Policy Research, 2012-2014 .
- University of Colorado Graduate School Dissertation Fellowship. May 2011.
- Philosophy of Education Student Summer School Fellowship. June-July, 2009.
Experience & Service
- 2014 to 2015, Director, Research & Impact, Colorado Education Initiative, Denver, CO.
- 2012 to 2014, Strategic Data Fellow, Center for Education Policy Research, Harvard University.