Our Faculty and Staff
Title: Asst Professor - Educator
Office: 615K TEACHER-DYER
Laura Dell joined the staff of College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services in 2008 as the Academic Director for the online Associate and Bachelor’s degrees in Early Childhood Education. Laura has worked as a distance learning consultant for school districts across Ohio and has presented on distance learning and technology integration topics at numerous state, national, and international education conferences. She holds a Masters in Educational Foundations from the University of Cincinnati and a certificate in distance education from Indiana University, and is a current doctoral candidate in Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Cincinnati. In her current position as Assistant Professor, Educator, and Associate Director for eLearning in the School of Education, she manages online learning issues on the graduate and undergraduate level. She previously worked for CET, PBS in Cincinnati, as a producer of educational media. Educational media projects included curriculum guides, videos, websites, and software designed for classroom use. Dell is also an experienced science educator who has worked at the Cincinnati Zoo, Orlando Science Center, Cincinnati Parks, and Cincinnati Museum Center. She has has experience with children’s media and literature as the Exhibits & Programs Coordinator at the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton Co. She has taught in the Early Childhood program at UC for 9 years and for the past 4 years has co-taught with Nancy Jennings a study abroad course entitled Developmental and Multicultural Perspectives on Children’s Media. Her current research is focused on children’s experiences in and conceptions of nature.
- MEd, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2001 (Educational Studies Thesis: Local Environmental Belief Systems of Urban Youth in Middle Childhood).
- BA, Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH, 1995 (Zoology and Theatre).
- (Co-PI), Dell, Laura; Johnson, Holly, Alumni University - DOS-Baghdad-PD-2013-5 Cooperative Agreement, Department of State, US Embassy - Baghdad . (SIZ-100-13-GR021), 600,000. 09/25/2013 to 12/31/2015. Status: Completed.
- Dell, L. (2005). Connecting K-12 schools in higher education. Encyclopedia of Distance Learning (pp.374-378).
- Dell, L., & Hakeem, S. (2012). Technology integration in higher education in Kurdistan, Iraq: A wiki case study. . International Conference: The Future of Education Conference Proceedings , Vol. II, 201-206 Milano, Italy: Simonelli Editore University Press.
Presentations & Lectures
- Dell, L., & Griebling, S. (11-2011). Design on a dime: Using open-source technologies for online instruction 18th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning, Orlando, FL.
- Dell, L. & Schroeder, S. (10-2011). Performance Based Assessments Embanet-Compass Partner Summit, Orlando, FL.
- Dell, L., & Griebling, S. (11-2010). Design on a dime: Using open-source technologies for online instruction National Association for the Education of Young Children National Conference, Anaheim, CA.
- Dell, L., Griebling, S., Bond, D., & Neal, M. (11-2009). Designing a quality online early childhood teacher education program: Lessons learned from the University of Cincinnati National Association for the Education of Young Children National Conference, Washington, DC.
- Dell, L. (05-2009). Evaluating Software for the Preschool Classroom Technology and Data Management Solutions for Head Start Conference, Sponsored by the Ohio Head Start Association in Partnership with the Early Childhood Quality Network (ECQ-net), Columbus, OH.
- Dell, L. (10-2012). Using visual methodologies to understand young children's relationships with nature 9th Annual North American Association for Environmental Education Research Symposium, Oakland, CA.
- Dell, L. (11-2012). Mobile apps in early childhood Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Children's Literature Conference, Crestview Hills, KY.
- Dell, L. (02-2009). Is Online Education for Me? eTech Ohio Educational Technology Conference, Columbus, OH.
- Dell. L. (04-2013). Using open-source and free technologies for effective classroom instruction Salahaddin University (Hawler) – University of Cincinnati Linkage Conference, Erbil, Iraq.
- Dell, L. (04-2013). Mobile apps for learning English language and literature Salahaddin University (Hawler) – University of Cincinnati Linkage Conference, Erbil, Iraq.
- Dell. L. (08-2016). A window into a nature-based preschool through the eyes of children Nature-Based Preschool National Conference, St. Paul, MN.
- Stoll, C., Clineman, D., Dell, L., Peterson, D., Schroeder, S., Rota, M., Verkamp, B., & Breen, J. (10-2014). One university's journey to eLearning success 20th Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Dell, L. & Schroeder, S. (10-2013). Teaching isn't magic: Using transparent pedagogy in online teacher education Educause Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA.
- Garrett, R. & Dell, L (03-2013). Program differentiation Pearson Embanet Partner Summit, Orlando, FL.
- Dell, L. & Jacobs, J. (09-2015). I teach a great course, why would I want to work with an Instructional Designer? 2015 University of Cincinnati Faculty Technology Showcase, Cincinnati, OH.
- Dell, L. & Jennings, N. (03-2015). Media literacy Parenting in a Digital Age workshop , Mason, OH.
- Dell. L. (11-2014). Mobile technologies in early childhood and middle school 2014 Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Children's Literature Conference, Crestview Hills, KY.
- Dell, L., Highley, T., & Johnson, C. (01-2014). Cincinnati, Ohio Meets Kurdistan, Iraq: Cultural connections through web conferencing 10th Annual Tri-State Diversity Conference, Hebron, KY.
- Beckett, G., Dell, L., Johnson, H., & Kendall Theado, C. (09-2011). Kurdish and Iraqi linkages Global Institute 2011 Conference, Athens, OH.
- Dell, L., & Hakeem, S. (06-2012). Technology Integration in Higher Education in Kurdistan, Iraq: A Wiki Case Study. Future of Education Conference 2.0, Florence, Italy.
- Dell. L. (11-2015). Cameras as windows into the environmental learning of children in a nature-based preschool National Association for the Education of Young Children National Conference, Orlando, FL.
Honors & Awards
- Emmy Nomination for Instructional Media at the 41st Annual Midwest Regional EMMY Awards , 2005. Safe Passage , a Multimedia Social Studies and Language Arts Curriculum for Grades 6-9. .
Experience & Service
- 1995 to 1997, Natural Sciences Manager, ORLANDO SCIENCE CENTER, Orlando, FL.
- 1998 to 1999, Science Coordinator, Children’s Museum , CINCINNATI MUSEUM CENTER, Cincinnati, OH.
- 1999 to 2001, Assistant Projects Manager , CET-TV/PBS, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2001 to 2004, Projects Manager, CET-TV/PBS, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2004 to 2008, Programs & Exhibits Coordinator, PUBLIC LIBRARY OF CINCINNATI & HAMILTON CO., Cincinnati, OH.
- 2008 to 2010, Academic Director, CECH - Early Childhood Learning Community , UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2010 to 2014, Academic Director, Teacher Licensure & Online Learning, School of Education, UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2015 to Present, Assistant Professor, Educator, and Associate Director for eLearning, School of Education, UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI, Cincinnati, OH.
- Quality Matters, Master Reviewer 2012
- 18-ECE-277 CHILD DEVELOPMENT
- 18-EDST-426 SOC INEQUALITIES
- 18-ECE-495 STORIES OF TEACHING
- 18-ECE-190 LRNG ECE ONLINE
- 18-CI-247 COMP TOOLS/TEACHERS
- 18-EDST-737 HUMAN DEV ADOLES
- 18-CI-400 TCH & LRN DIV CLASS
- -CI-3003 TCH & LRN DIV CLASS
- Methods of Online Course Development
Methods of Online Course Development
- Role of Teachers in a Democratic Society
Role of Teachers in a Democratic Society
- -ECE-2025 FAM COMM SCHOOLS
- -EDST-7032 HUMAN DEVEL ADOLES
- -EDST-6016 PERSPECT CHD MEDIA
- -EDST-2003 PRE/MID-ADOL DEV