Our Faculty and Staff
Title: Associate Professor;
Director, Developmental & Learning Sciences Research Center
Office: 2150F EDWARDS 1 Edwards Center
Current research projects of Dr. Brown examine neural correlates and cognitive mechanisms of mathematical and memory development using fMRI and behavioral measures with the aim of improving educational interventions for children with learning difficulties. Her teaching interests include Cognitive Development, Mathematics Cognition, and Cognition & Culture.
- (PI), Brown, R.D., O'Brien, B. A., Holland, S., & Horowitz-Kraus, T., The ability of executive functions and reading to improve following reading intervention among children with reading disability: An fMRI study., University of Cincinnati; University Research Council. $25,000. 2012 to 2013. Status: Active.
- (PI), Brown, R.D., Schmithorst, V. J., & Kroeger, L. A., Cincinnati Children's Hospital & Medical Center Imaging Research Center. $12,125. 2011 to 2012. Status: Completed.
- (PI), Brown, R.D., & Hammons, L. N., Developing application technology for The Number Race., CECH Instructional Research and Development Technology Grant. $2,000. 2012 to 2013. Status: Active.
- (Research Team), Carr, V. et al., Designed nature environments to promote informal science learning., National Science Foundation. 2011 to 2013.
- (PI), Brown, R.D., Neural correlates of mathematics cognition and specific learning difficulties., University of Cincinnati; University Research Council. $6,500. 2010 to 2012. Status: Completed.
- (Collaborator), Boat, Mary Barbara; Brown, Rhonda; Carr, Victoria; Johnson, Carla; Kloos, Adelheid; Kuschner, David; Meyer, Helen; Moomaw, Sally Coup; Pan, Wei; Plevyak, Linda, Playscapes: Designed Nature Environments to Promote Informal Science Learning, National Science Foundation. (NSF DRL-1114674), $330,124.00. 10/01/2011 to 09/30/2013. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Boat, Mary Barbara; Brown, Rhonda; Carr, Victoria; Kloos, Adelheid; Maltbie, Catherine; Plano Clark, Vicki, STEM in the PlayScape: Building Knowledge for Educational Practice, National Science Foundation. (DRL-1516191), $1,116,905.00. 01/15/2016 to 12/31/2018. Status: Awarded.
- Kroeger, L. A., Brown, R. D., & O'Brien, B. A. (2012). Connecting neuroscience, cognitive, and educational theories and research to practice: A review of mathematics intervention programs. Special Issue: Neuroscience perspectives on early development and education. Early Education and Development, 23 (1), 37-58..
- Luken, E., Carr, V., & Brown, R. D. (2011). Playscapes: Designs for play, exploration, and science inquiry. Special section on play-based science learning. Children, Youth, & Environments, 21 (2), 325-337..
- Moyer, M. R., & Brown, R. D. (2011). Medical team training: Using simulation as a teaching strategy for group work. Special Issue: Developing and evaluating groups in health care settings. Journal For Specialists in Group Work, 36 (4), 330-351.
- Chiu, C.-Y. P., Schmithorst,V. J., Brown, R. D., Holland, S. K., & Dunn, S. (2006). Making memories: A cross-sectional investigation of episodic memory encoding in childhood using FMRI. Special Issue: Neural correlates of memory development and learning. Developmental Neuropsychology, 29,, 321-340.
- Brown, R. D., & Chiu, C. P. (2006). Neural correlates of memory development and learning: Combining neuroimaging and behavioral measures to understand cognitive and developmental processes. Special Issue: Neural correlates of memory development and learning. Developmental Neuropsychology, 29,, 279-291.
- Kowalski, K., Brown, R. D., & Pretti-Frontczak, K. (2005). The effects of using formal assessment on preschool teachers' beliefs about the importance of various developmental skills and abilities. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 30,, 23-42.
- Schmithorst,V. J., & Brown, R. D. (2004). Empirical validation of the triple-code model of numerical processing for complex math operations using functional MRI and group independent component analysis of the mental addition and subtraction of fractions. NeuroImage, 22,, 1419-1425.
- Pretti-Frontczak, K., Kowalski, K., & Brown, R. D. (2002). Preschool teachers' use of assessments and curricula: A statewide examination. Exceptional Children, 69,, 109-123.
- Bjorklund, D. F., Cassel, W. S., Bjorklund, B. R., Brown, R. D., Park, C. L., Ernst, K., & Owen, F. A. (2000). Social demand characteristics in children's and adults' eyewitness memory and suggestibility: The effect of different interviewers on free recall and recognition. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 14,, 421-433.
- Bjorklund, D. F., Bjorklund, B. R., Brown, R. D., & Cassel, W. S. (1998). Children’s susceptibility to repeated questions: How misinformation changes children’s answers and their minds. Applied Developmental Science, 2,, 99-111.
- Bjorklund, D. F., & Brown, R. D. (1998). Physical play and cognitive development: Integrating activity, cognition, and education. Child Development, 69,, 604-606.
- Brown, R. D., & Bjorklund, D. F. (1998). The biologizing of cognition, development, and education: Approach with cautious enthusiasm. Educational Psychology Review, 10,, 355-373.
- Douglas, R. N. (1997). Considering the witness in interviews. PSYCOLOQUY, 7 (21).
- Brown, R. D., & Schmithorst, V. J. (2005). Empirical validation of the triple-code model of numerical processing using fMRI[Abstract]. Proceedings of the 4th Biennial Meeting of the Cognitive Development Society..
- Brown, R. D., Kowalski, K., & Pretti-Frontczak, K. (2003). Assessment as a mediator of parent-teacher partnerships[Abstract]. Proceedings of Head Start's 6th National Research Conference,, 745-746.
- Kloos, H., Baker, H., Luken, E., Brown, R., D., Pfeiffer, D., & Carr, V. (2012). Preschoolers learning science: Myth or reality?. In H. Kloos, B. J. Morris, & J. L. Amaral (Eds.), Current Topics in Children's Learning and Cognition (pp.45-59).. [Link]
- Bjorklund, D. F., Dukes, C., & Brown, R. D. (2009). The development of memory strategies. In N. Cowan & M. Courage (Eds.), The development of memory in infancy and childhood (2nd Ed.) (pp.145-175). New York, NY: Psychology Press.
- Bjorklund, D. F., Brown, R. D., & Bjorklund, B. R. (2002). Children’s eyewitness memory: Changing reports and changing representations. In P. Graf & N. Ohta (Eds.), Lifespan development of human memory (pp.101-126). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Brown, R. D., Goldstein,E., & Bjorklund, D. F. (2000). The history and zeitgeist of the repressed/false-memory debate: Scientific and sociological perspectives on suggestibility and childhood memory. In D. F. Bjorklund (Eds.), False-memory creation in children and adults: Theory, research, and implications (pp.1-30). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Bjorklund, D. F., & Douglas, R. N. (1997). The development of memory strategies. In N. Cowan (Eds.), The development of memory in childhood (pp.201-246). Hove East Sussex, U. K.: Psychology Press.