The University of Cincinnati K-12 Intervention Specialist Licensure is designed for individuals who need an initial license as well as for individuals who currently hold a valid teaching license in an area outside of special education (e.g., Early Childhood, Middle Childhood, Language Arts, etc.).
Program of Study, for Initial License
- SPED 3008 Curriculum and Instructional Strategies
- SPED 4013 Assistive Technology & Universal Design for Learning
- SPED 3006 Assessment and Curriculum Planning MM
- SPED 3007 Promoting Positive Behavior
- SPED 2001 The Law, Visioning and IEP
- SPED 4015 Internship Mild to Moderate (full time 12 weeks)
- SPED 4016 Student Teaching Seminar MM
- LSLS 3012 Language and Foundations of Literacy
- SPED 3004 Teaching Reading and Writing in Content Areas
- SPED 4014 Critical Issues MI
- SPED 3010 Instructional Strategies Moderate to Intense
- SPED 3009 Assessment and Curriculum Planning MI
- SPED 3012 Language and Foundations of Literacy
- SPED 4017 Internship Moderate to Intense (full time 10 weeks)
- SPED 4018 Student Teaching Seminar MI
- LSLS 2006 Phonics
Program of Study, Licensed Teachers
- SPED 7013: Universal Design for Learning and Assistive Technology in Special Education
- LSLS 7001: Phonics Word Study
- SPED 7004: Teaching Reading/Writing in the Content
- LSLS 7002: Phonics in Practice: Early Childhood and Special Education
- SPED 7006: Assessment and Intervention
- SPED 7001: Overview and Special Education Law
- LSLS 7012: Foundations of Reading and Writing for Intervention Specialists
- SPED 7004: Content Literacy, Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- SPED 7015: Internship
- SPED 7016: Seminar
- LSLS 7027: Theory to Practice: Models of Literacy
- SPED 7007: Management of Behavior
- SPED 7008: Curriculum Planning
- Initial Teaching License (for licensed teachers)
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.8 from all college work attempted
- Complete the application.
- Then submit the following documents to the department below
- Complete a Candidate Information sheet.
- Complete a Commitment Form.
- Recommendation from principal or immediate supervisor (on letterhead) (Provided in sealed envelope, with signature of individual across seal).
- Recommendation from another individual familiar with your success as a teacher (colleague, parent, school psychologist, etc.) (Provided in sealed envelope, with signature of individual across seal).
- Copies of official transcripts from all college/university work attempted.
- Copies of all teaching licenses/certificates.
- Copies of the following reports:
- BCI report (Please send a copy and keep the original for your records.)
- FBI report (Please send a copy and keep the original for your records.)
- Negative TB Test Results (Please send a copy and keep the original for your records.)
- Complete an Authorization for Release of Records form.
- Complete a Good Moral Character and Conduct form (please remember to have a witness sign/date this form in the appropriate place)
Attention: Wendy Riordan, School of Education, PO Box 210022, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0022
Ohio Assessment for Educators licensure test