CECH Building Renovations
Over the past decade, significant growth in enrollment, combined with the demand for accommodations for today’s technology and ADA standards, resulted in a massive $18.5 million, two-year overhaul on the Teachers College building, with construction that first got underway in 2007. The result revealed facets of the college’s original Georgian architectural grandeur that had been hidden for decades, as well as the addition of modern amenities and inviting spaces outside the classrooms for students to gather and study. A total of 60,000 gross square feet of the building was restored, with costs secured through state and local funding.
The new facilities and amenities in the 60,000 Square foot building include the CECH Library, a state-of-the-art video conferencing room, two computer instructional labs, a new STEMM FUSION Center, offices for 130 faculty and staff, and an elegant Annie Laws Drawing Room. These new spaces and learning environments put the focus on students with inviting spaces outside the classrooms for students to gather and study and technology in the classrooms for a 21st Century learning environment.
Since the year 2000, CECH enrollment more than doubled from 2,100 students to 4,354 students in fall 2008, with over 1600 distance learning students. The renovation of Teachers College was a necessary first step in meeting the demands of the evolving student population. A key part of CECH’s Proudly Cincinnati campaign, which officially launched in October 2008, is to continue this growth by securing $15 million to fund the much-needed restoration of the adjacent Dyer Hall.