Educator Preparation Performance
As a Transformation Initiative institution, our educator preparation programs are committed to transforming lives, schools, and community through:
- Freshman field experiences working with under-resourced k-12 students attending urban high poverty schools
- A commitment to urban placements for all candidates
- Embedded field experiences in urban high poverty schools that provide faculty members the opportunity to model interacting with administrators, teachers, and students of different ethnicity, race, socioeconomic gender, exceptionalities, and language.
- Faculty modeling of pedagogy that has been demonstrated to be effective in large urban, high poverty school districts, and providing coursework and materials in courses
- Vertical alignment of diversity proficiencies and assessments throughout the initial licensure programs are being designed through the use of a logic models.
- Know their content, with a 95% pass rate on national teacher licensure tests
- Know their practice, with 93% of candidates completing the edTPA, a nationally assessed teacher work sample, surpassing the national cut score
- Know their professional commitment, with mean ratings on the Candidate Dispositions Progress Report document consistently strong,positive dispositions of both initial and advanced candidates. Candidates’ dispositions are monitored weekly.
- Are actively engaged in research in urban schools and related to educator preparation
- Obtained federal funding of a program to increase the content knowledge of special education students in at least two subject areas
- Obtained state funding for the development of a program that provides both middle childhood and special education licensure for candidates
- Since the 2001-2002 academic year, our candidates’ mentors in field and clinical experiences have completed surveys related to the program, the role of mentors in that program, and the performance of university supervisors.
- The mean ratings of candidates’ content knowledge, foundation knowledge, and pedagogical skills have been consistently high.
- Communication and cooperation have high mean ratings
- Mean ratings of mentor teachers’ role in education preparation are high